Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What do YOU know about Fijian culture?

Thank you for being such good students and participating in our Into! As a follow-up, we would love for you to answer a couple questions for us.

1) Do you have any personal experiences with Fijians or Fijian culture? If so, what?

2) What are some things that you think of when you think of Fijian people or culture? Do you have any assumptions or perceptions about their intelligence, talents, interests, vices?

Please post your responses as comments on our blog. Have a great Spring Break!

2 comments:

  1. I do not know that much about Fijiian culture. so I am learning from your project. I do find it very interesting that Samoans, Tongans, and other island cultures have such negativity towards each other, especially when they come to another country.
    How prevalent are Fijiians in our society, Sonoma county today??
    I do find the body image dilemma as a big part of their cultural difference.I feel it must be very hard for a fijiian girl in American society when we are so bent on the anorexic look...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself do not recollect any direct personal experiences with Fijian people although that is most likely due to my own unawareness of their culture and people.

    I do however, find it interesting that many of them are drawn to positions involving a caretaker role. It seems because they value their elders with such high regard, this would be a natural calling to them.

    I think this inherent trait would work to the advantage of Fijian students in the classroom. Hopefully, this ideal is not lost to the peer pressures of looking cool that so many other students exude in class, a la being disrespectful to the teacher.

    ReplyDelete